It's summer time here in Nebraska and my middle son is away at camp for a week. This is his first extended camp, usually they last for 3 days, but this time he is away for 7 WHOLE days. His brothers and I decided we would send him and the Troop a package of goodies. After a few hours of brainstorming and debating ideas of what to pack, we finally settled on a few treats.
Here are a few tips to help you pack the BEST care package! EVER!
- Choose items that won't melt in a vehicle or the summer heat. Can you imagine receiving a special package from home, only to find a puddle of chocolate inside? Yuck!
Small Bags of Chips
Powdered Drink Mixes
- Add something homemade or special for the recipient. We baked up a batch of sturdy cookies for the boys. My Grandmother used to mail O'Henry bars to my Uncle or his favorite sugar cookies. If your package is going a long way, store a slice of bread in with your cookies. This will keep them moist!
- Include small books or cards. These could be Sudoku books, word finds, jokes, playing cards, or trading cards.
- Enclose a hand written note or letter. You are showing the person that you value them enough to sit down and write.
- Choose a box to fit your needs. We used a flat rate shipping box from the Post Office, but you can use whatever your items to fit snuggly and prevent shifting.
- If you have extra space inside your box, use lightweight materials to secure the contents. Here are a few ideas that are economical:
air popped popcorn
- Finally, don't include items that will get you in trouble with the United States Government. Liquids, alcohol, and fireworks are probably on the no mail list.
I can't wait to hear how the boys enjoyed their care package! Do you have any tips or suggestions? Share them in the Comments!