I love homemade ice cream- the texture, taste, and sweetness are incomparable to the store bought variety. However, I despise the idea of using raw eggs and large amounts of cream. I stumbled upon this simple recipe in the book that came with my ice cream machine. It is wonderful!
It was originally for chocolate (and it tastes great by the way!), but we have adapted it for vanilla numerous times. I thought I would share this wonderful recipe. It's fast and simple. It's perfect for the occasions when you are in a rush and want to enjoy your time elsewhere.
You will be suffering from a brain freeze in no time...
Here is the recipe:
- 3 large cans sweetened condensed milk
- 6 cups milk - we use whole milk, but have used 2%
- 15 Tablespoons cocoa powder or 2 Tablespoons vanilla flavoring- it just depends if you want chocolate or vanilla!
- In your container mix the milks and vanilla/cocoa well.
- Add the dash and cover.
- Insert it into the machine.
- Prepare your machine and get the freezer ready with ice and salt.
- Turn it on and check periodically.
- I let mine go until the ice cream reaches the top of the lid. Remove the dash and check for flavor. That's my favorite part! Just be careful not to get salt in the ice cream.
- When finished, pack with ice and cover with a towel. I prefer to remove the canister to a deep freezer for an hour or two.
We love fresh strawberries as a topping on our ice cream, but we'll eat it plain or flavored. How do you like to eat your ice cream?