One of my favorite preschool activities is hosting a letter "Tt" party. It's also one of our favorite ways to showcase the letter "Tt".
Last week, the children and I hosted a picnic tea party in our yard. We donned our old fashioned dresses and hats for the festivities. It was a wonderful time and we even took a picture of our feast to enter in a contest. It may be old school, but there is something magical about tea parties.
Here are some ideas for hosting your "Tt" tea party:
- Create invitations and have the children practice writing the letter "Tt's" on the front and their names inside.
- Use real tea service- the children love using "grown up" cups and silver.
- Serve foods that begin with the letter "T". Listed is a sampling of your delicacies: tiny triangle tuna sandwiches, Tootsie rolls, tarts, tangerines, taffy, tiny hot dogs on a toothpick, tiramisu, tic tacs, etc. Get creative!
- Serve sugar cubes to mix with their tea. I am probably going to get a lot of slack for that comment, but the children ADORE taking "one lump or two" and stirring their drink. It's not an everyday treat and makes this activity memorable.
- Dress the part. Have participants dress in their finest or furnish fancy dresses, ties, hats, and gloves for the children to don.
- Teach them basic manners. I know this doesn't follow the letter theme, but take every opportunity you can to emphasis social skills.
- Play "fancy" music faintly in the background. We have a CD of piano compositions and classical renditions we rely on.
- Have fun!