One of my family's favorite delicacies this time of year are Christmas mice. My mother discovered these little critters years ago and spoiled the grand kids with this special fare. Now, they are a traditional treat we look forward to during the holidays for treats and simple homemade gift giving. Not many people dread finding these chocolate mice nestled on a cookie platter.
Making these little nibblers is a simple process that involves no baking- all you need is a microwave or a double broiler. The hardest part of concocting these goodies is locating maraschino cherries with stems.
Here is what you will need to fill your nest with mice:
- Maraschino cherries WITH stems
- Chocolate Almond bark (you can substitute chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons butter)
- Sliced almonds
- Hershey kisses
- Small round candies for the noses
- Wax paper
Here is how you piece together the treats:
- Drain your cherries and let dry on a towel.
- Unwrap your Hershey kisses and open the almond slices. You need to be ready to add the faces and ears before the chocolate sets.
- Melt the chocolate almond bark.
- Carefully, dip the cherries into the chocolate.
- Put together one kiss on the bottom of the chocolate covered cherry.
- Place on wax paper.
- Quickly, add two similar sized almond slices for ears.
- If you desire, add a dab of melted chocolate on the tip of the nose and place a small candy for a cute sniffer.
- Let sit and harden.
- Refrigerate the mice until ready to serve.
What does your family like to make for the Holidays?