Money talks and when items are at bargain prices it whispers, "buy me" .
I have been known to pick up quite a few cornbread mixes and I have found ways to spice up a boring mix. With family gatherings in the near future, you can use these ideas to make an easy addition to dress up the menu. Here are just a few ideas:
- Sprinkle a tad of white sugar on the top- this makes a sweet crust that the boys call "frost".
- Add a can of creamed corn to the mixed cornbread batter. It may take longer to bake, but it's worth the extra time. Refrigerate any leftovers.
- Add Tabasco sauce or a small can of chilies to the mix. I prefer my bread sweet, but my neighbor introduced me to this kicked up version.
- Create peanut butter and jelly muffins. The link and recipe can be found here.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on the top. Get creative and use pepper jack or cheddar.
- Use the batter as a topping to creamed veggies or chicken/turkey. Bake in the oven until the bread is done.