Cool autumn mornings sometimes allow a chill to settle in our house. An easy way to banish the cold and warm up the house is to heat up the oven and bake. I recently discovered this simple quick bread or muffin mix and I love the way the smells and tastes mingle together. Scents of cranberries, cinnamon, and the citrus from the orange peel waft through the house perfecting the ambiance of an autumn or winter breakfast.
To concoct this treat, you will need:
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries or craisins
- Topping: 3 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Here is what you do:
- Grease and flour your bread pan or muffin tins. I used a regular bread pan and a small bundt pan. I really enjoyed the "wreath" the bundt pan created and put a small bowl of marmalade in the middle.
- Beat the eggs, milk, and oil.
- Stir in the other ingredients and combine until just blended.
- Fill your pans or tins.
- Sprinkle the simple topping on top of each item.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven about 15 minutes for muffins, 20 minutes for the small bundt pan, and 30-40 minutes for a loaf of bread. Check for doneness using a toothpick or skewer and feel of the crust.
What do you like to bake on cool mornings?