I don't have the abundance of pecans that are required in 95% of the recipes, but I DID have a few lemons lounging in my veggie drawer in the fridge. I even acquired a tube pan during a recent trip to town. I was set.
My sons and I worked a little magic in the kitchen and surprised my love with a treat just for him. It made his day and he loved the fact that this recipe hailed from down South. It's moist and refreshing- perfect for a late August day.
Here's what you need:
- 1 cup butter
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract (I used lemon juice)
- Blend the butter with sugar and eggs until smooth.
- Sift together flour and baking powder. Fold into the butter mix.
- Add milk and lemon extract. Beat for several minutes. You may need to add a little milk or another egg if the dough is too stiff.
- The recipe recommends baking for 1 and a 1/2 hours at 250 degrees. I chose to bake ours at 350 degrees for about an hour. I just kept an eye on it.
- I think this cake tastes fine alone, but you could easily dress it up with sprinkled powder sugar or a simple lemon glaze.