Today we made "haystacks" for snack. These little piles of crunchy goodness make me a tad homesick, but these butterscotch treats are easy and don't require an oven- perfect for a 100 plus degree day.
In the past, I have tied them into lessons featuring The School Children's Blizzard of 1888, Little Boy Blue Mother Goose Poems, and Nebraska history.
Here is what you will need:
- 1 large bag Chow Mein noodles
- 1/2 bag of miniature marshmallows
- 1 bag of butterscotch chips
- 1 cup of creamy peanut butter
- wax paper
- In a microwave safe bowl, mix butterscotch chips and peanut butter. Keep an eye on them and microwave for about 1 to 2 minutes. Stir until smooth.
- Add the chow mein noodles and marshmallows. Gently fold the mixture until all the noodles and marshmallows are evenly covered.
- Take a Tablespoon and drop dollops onto a waxed piece of paper.
- Let them set and harden in a cool area.
- We saved the best part for last- EAT!