This is a favorite dish of my three boys. My sons all enjoy it. The daycare children gobble it up. My husband even consumes it. I love this simple, economical, and filling dinner. I got the recipe several years ago from a friend and it's a begged for staple at her house.
It's a winner.
I stock up on pork and beans when they are on sale, typically during graduation and barbeque sales. I have used the "fancier" baked beans and it turned out well. This is a great way to dress up a boring can of beans and fill up my family's growling tummies.
According to true poor man dinner enthusiasts (my sons and their friends), you will need to serve corn on the side. However, I didn't have corn and the younger crowd doesn't notice when I "mess" up the menu. The boys like to mix everything together. Their stance on the topic is "it just tastes better". I will leave that up to you.
Here is what you need:
- 2 cans pork'n beans
- 1 pound browned hamburger or turkey
- 1 can red kidney or chili beans- I don't usually include these, but my friend uses them
- pre-cooked rice
- Prepare your rice.
- Brown your meat and add the beans.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for a few minutes.
- Serve the beans and meat over the rice.